Who is protecting us from urban drilling?
Early on January 21, 2019, a resident of Lethbridge was flying from the Lethbridge Airport and the plane banked over West Lethbridge. Looking down, they captured a hazy photograph of a brightly lit well site.
Since them, members of the Copperwood Circle Facebook group have been asking questions about the noise and light on their southern horizon.
No Drilling Lethbridge began investigating and what we have found out disturbs and disappoints us:
On November 21, 2018, the Alberta Energy Regulator granted a two-year licence to Tamarack Acquisition Corporation to drill a production well within Lethbridge City Limits.
This well is located on private land at location SE-10-8-22-W4. From the well site, the drill path directs south-east under the Oldman River. This well is within Lethbridge City Limits and less than one kilometre from residences.
With this drilling activity, it has become apparent that no one is watching the gates of our city and, once again, it is up to everyday citizens to remain vigilant.
We can also tell you that Tamarack has applied to the Alberta Energy Regulator to drill more wells across the river, just west of Lethbridge:
We also know they have submitted applications under the Water Act to divert water:
We encourage everyone to write to Tamarack for a copy of this application and for more information on this diversion!
For a copy of the application, contact:
Tamarack Acquisition Corp.
Attention: TAMARACK ACQUISITION CORP.
600, 425 - 1 St SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3L8
Telephone: (403) 263-4440
Statements of Concern regarding this water diversion must be filed immediately!
What can we do now? The community needs answers
- Did our Mayor and City Council know about this?
- Did our Members of the Legislative Assembly know about this?
- Is this drilling activity safe?
- How much water will be diverted and what impact will the water diversion have on our watershed?
- What protection do we have?
We will be asking these questions and posting the answers we receive. We suggest you do the same. If you have information to share, please do so via this Facebook page @nolethbridgedrilling.
- Mayor Chris Spearman 403-320-3823 email@example.com
- Councillor Mark Campbell 403-360-0808 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councillor Jeff Carlson 403-360-7550 email@example.com
- Councillor Jeff Coffman 403-315-9092 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councillor Belinda Crowson 403-320-4276 email@example.com
- Councillor Blaine Hyggen 403-380-9530 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councillor Joe Mauro 403-330-1522 email@example.com
- Councillor Rob Miyashiro 403-360-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councillor Ryan Parker 403-380-4848 / 403-360-8880 email@example.com